World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Puji Temple

Puji Temple (Chinese: 普济禅寺; pinyin: Pǔjì Chánsì; literally: "Chan Temple of Universal Salvation") is a Buddhist temple located on the island of Putuoshan in Zhejiang province, China.

The temple is now a tourist attraction as the island is significant in Chinese Buddhism. In January 2004, entry tickets to the temple cost five yuan per person.

History

Puji Temple on Putuo Shan island
Statue of Avalokiteśvara Bodhisattva in Puji Temple
Lake and pavilions in front of Puji Temple

Built in 916, at the time it was called (不肯去观音院 bu ken qu guanyin yuan).

In 1080, during the Song Dynasty (960-1279), Emperor Shenzong renamed the temple (宝陀观音寺 bao tuo guanyin si). Shenzong donated lands to the temple, and a new monk was ordained every year. (After the temple was renamed, the old name for the temple was still used to refer to a nearby hill, (紫竹林 zi zhu lin), on which a 20 metre tall Guanyin now stands.) The monks studied Buddhism and the temple slowly prospered.

In 1214, still in the Song Dynasty, Emperor Ningzong donated tens of thousands of min (lines of cash) to the temple and presented them with a sign reading 'General Funds Hall' (圆通宝殿; yuan tong bao dian).

In 1298 by order of Emperor Chengzong of the Yuan Dynasty, Li Ying (李英) repaired the temple, completing the work in 1301. The monks were given over 4000 mu (2.7 km²) of land, and 20 min of government funds. In 1299, Yishan Yining, the abbot of the temple, was appointed the director of Buddhist teaching for the region (江浙释教总统; jiangzhe shijiao zongtong) and was sent as an emissary to Japan by the emperor.

In the winter of 1313, the Emperor Renzong's mother sent an envoy to present the temple with 868 metal bars and three qing of land, and to make offerings.

In 1327, Emperor Taiding presented the temple with 1000 metal bars and 2 qing 26 mu of land.

In 1386, during the Ming Dynasty, Duke Tang (汤和; Tang He) was asked to come to the mainland to advise the Emperor. He brought with him 30,000 people from 46 islands, including the monks of Putuoshan. At the same time, Duke Tang ordered the burning of 300 temples on Putuoshan. He also moved a large statue of Guanyin to a temple (郡东栖心寺; jun dong xi xin si) on the mainland, which was then renamed (普陀 pu tuo). (The temple is now known as Qita Temple. It is located in Ningbo.)

In 1515, the Buddhist community began to recover through donations and alms.

In 1553, the Ming government under the Jiajing Emperor moved the monks and destroyed temples once more.

In 1572, a monk named Zhen Song (真松) came to Putuoshan to help rebuild it to its former glory.

In 1574, a monk named Zhen Biao (真表) wanted to ascend the mountain to locate the site of old Bao Guo Si (宝陀寺), destroyed 200 years earlier, but was not allowed. Despite this, he still ascended the mountain and located the old site of the temple, and managed to rebuild a small monastery, only to have it destroyed by a military commander Xu Jingxing (徐景星). Afterwards, Zhou Liangbin (周良宾), a Ningbo government official, had Zhen Biao and a group of nuns punished. Fours years later, Zhen Biao was made abbot. He had the Hall of Heavenly Kings (云会尝; yunhuichang) and one other hall built.

Sources

  • 普陀山史话, 张坚. 甘肃民族出版社. ISBN 7-5421-0728-3


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.