World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Principality of Aschaffenburg

Article Id: WHEBN0009385592
Reproduction Date:

Title: Principality of Aschaffenburg  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Grand Duchy of Frankfurt, Aschaffenburg, Principality of Salm, Prince-bishop, Grand Duchy of Würzburg
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Principality of Aschaffenburg

Principality of Aschaffenburg
Fürstentum Aschaffenburg
Client state of the French Empire and
State of the Confederation of the Rhine
Coat of arms of the Archbishopric of Mainz
1803–1810
Flag Coat of arms
Capital Aschaffenburg
Government Principality
Historical era Napoleonic Wars
 •  Established 1803
 •  Merged into Grand
    Duchy of Frankfurt
1810
 •  Awarded to Bavaria 1814

The Principality of Aschaffenburg (}

}}: Fürstentum Aschaffenburg) was a principality of the Holy Roman Empire and the Confederation of the Rhine from 1803–10. Its capital was Aschaffenburg.

With the secularization of the Archbishopric of Mainz in 1803, Karl Theodor Anton Maria von Dalberg was compensated by receiving the newly created principalities of Aschaffenburg and Regensburg and the County of Wetzlar. Along with the city of Aschaffenburg, the Principality of Aschaffenburg also consisted of Klingenberg, Lohr, Aufenau, Stadtprozelten, Orb, and Aura.

The principality became part of the Confederation of the Rhine in 1806 after the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire. In 1810 Napoleon granted Dalberg's Principality of Regensburg to the Kingdom of Bavaria and compensated him with Hanau and Fulda. Dalberg merged his remaining territories of Aschaffenburg, Frankfurt, Wetzlar, Hanau, and Fulda into the new Grand Duchy of Frankfurt, with the Principality of Aschaffenburg becoming a department of the new grand duchy. The city of Aschaffenburg remained the residence of Dalberg, however. The region was annexed by Bavaria in 1814.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.