World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

President's Science Advisory Committee

In 1951 President of the United States Harry S. Truman established the Science Advisory Committee as part of the Office of Defense Mobilization (ODM). As a direct response to the launches of the Soviet artificial satellites, Sputnik 1 and Sputnik 2, on October 4 and November 3, 1957, the Science Advisory Committee was upgraded by President Dwight D. Eisenhower to the President's Science Advisory Committee (PSAC) and moved to the White House on 21 November 1957.

Contents

  • Committee members 1
  • PSAC's activities 2
  • The end of the PSAC 3
  • External links 4

Committee members

The President's Science Advisory Committee included many noteworthy scientists and non-scientists, among them:

PSAC's activities

The Committee had no operating responsibilities. Its purpose was to provide advisory opinions and analysis on science and technology matters to the entire Federal Government and specifically to the President. About one-half of the panels' studies were directed to the question of how science could support the United States' national security objectives. The creation of Arms Limitations and Control, Limited Warfare, the Space Science Panels, for example, reflected the national security concerns of the Committee. Two important themes common to many of the studies are the budgetary problems of funding projects, and the Administration's concern over competing successfully with the Soviet Union in science and technology.

The end of the PSAC

Shortly after his re-election in 1972, President George H.W. Bush.

External links

  • U.S. President's Science Advisory Committee Records, Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library
  • Diary of George B. Kistiakowsky, Dwight D. Eisenhower Library
  • Hans Bethe talking about his time on the President's Science Advisory Committee on Peoples Archive.
  • The Papers of the President's Science Advisory Committee, 1957-1961
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.