World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Paris Zoological Park

Article Id: WHEBN0045331702
Reproduction Date:

Title: Paris Zoological Park  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Jardin d'Acclimatation, Vincennes, Zookeeper, Infobox museum/Muséum national d'histoire naturelle network, Jardin des Plantes
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Paris Zoological Park

Paris Zoological Park
Date opened June 2, 1934
Location 53, avenue de Saint-Maurice, 75012 Paris, France
Coordinates
Land area 14.5 hectares (36 acres)
Number of animals 1,000
Number of species 180
Memberships EAZA
Website .frparczoologiquedeparis

The Paris Zoological Park (parc zoologique de Paris), formerly known as the Bois de Vincennes Zoological Park (French pronunciation: ​), and commonly called the Vincennes Zoo, is a facility of the National Museum of Natural History, located in the 12th arrondissement of Paris, which covers an area of 14.5 hectares (36 acres) in the bois de Vincennes. Designed to complement the Ménagerie du Jardin des plantes, this zoo is dedicated to the observation of animal behavior in a more suitable environment. Since its opening in 1934, it is remarkable for its large artificial 65 m (213 ft) high rock, iconic scenery of the park, visible from afar and popularly called the "Big Rock". This zoo include a greenhouse of 4,000 m2 (43,000 sq ft) sheltering a tropical rainforest climate.

The zoo was closed between 30 November 2008 and the 12 April 2014 for becoming dilapidated and too small for its residents according to criteria of the twenty-first century. The renovation, which began December 7, 2011, took place over nearly two and a half years. The pens have been fully reviewed and grouped into five major natural environments (called biozones). The work allowed them to reach modern standards for animal comfort, public safety and museology, with increased attention to the respect of the environment.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.