World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Palazzo a Mare

Article Id: WHEBN0036336501
Reproduction Date:

Title: Palazzo a Mare  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Cloaca (Capri), Saticula, Bourbon Tunnel, Second Temple of Hera (Paestum), Catacombs of San Gennaro
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Palazzo a Mare

Palazzo a Mare (translation, "Sea Palace"; alernative, Palatium) is an archaeological site on the north side of the island of Capri. It consists of well-preserved ruins. The palace is attributed to either Augustus,[1] or Tiberius. In 1903, the Royal Geographical Society described it as:

"By far the most extensive Roman remains upon the Capri littoral are those known as the Palazzo a Mare, one of the largest of the twelve villas of Tiberius, and therefore dating from about 27 to 37 A.D. The buildings not only covered considerable ground on the top of the cliffs, which were buttressed by strong walls, but also extended down to the beach, where the north wing was thrown out towards the sea, and must have made a charming abode in summer. As seen from tho sea, a semioiroular exedra of opus reticulatum halfway up the face of the cliff is one of the most conspicuous features of the ruins. It is built so as to cover the middle third of the height of the cliff facing Vesuvius. Many fragments of walls lie in the water below, having been undermined by the sea; but as they have fallen from uncertain levels, they do not supply us with data as reliable as those to be derived from the western portions of the building still in situ.[2]

References

  1. ^ Ring, Trudy; Salkin, Robert M.; Boda, Sharon La (1 January 1996). International Dictionary of Historic Places: Southern Europe. Taylor & Francis. pp. 121–.  
  2. ^ Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain). (1903). The Geographical journal (Public domain ed.). Royal Geographical Society. pp. 133–. Retrieved 5 July 2012. 

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.