World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Capture of Porrentruy

The Capture of Porrentruy was a short siege of the Swiss town of Porrentruy, held by the Archduchy of Austria against the Kingdom of France. It took place on 28 April 1792 during the War of the First Coalition and was a French victory.

Course

On 20 April 1792, France declared war on the king of Bohemia and Hungary, who five days earlier had given Louis XVI of France an ultimatum regarding the possessionary princes of the Alsace. Whole French regiments such as the Régiment de Royal-Allemand cavalerie and the Hussards de Saxe had emigrated or switched sides.[1] However, the coalition forces were slow to press their advantage and the armée du Rhin's commander Nicolas Luckner decided to attack the stronghold at Porrentruy to prevent an invasion. He had a camp of 12,000 men at far end of the Basse-Alsace, between Lauterbourg, Landau and Weissembourg.

Luckner commanded Adam Philippe, Comte de Custine to advance into Porrentruy province, which belonged to the prince-bishop of Basel. This would avoid this portion of the French frontier being invaded.[1] At the head of 2,000 men, with colonel Charles Grangier de La Ferriere, commander of the 23rd Infantry Regiment, as his second-in-command and followed by three infantry battalions, an artillery company and around 300 dragoons, Custine marched into the province and demanded Porrentruy's surrender. It had a garrison of 400 Austrians, but the prince-bishop did not want to support a siege and marched the garrison away to Bienne. Custine thus captured Porrentruy without a fight and was able to dig in on the Laumont mountain to defend the valleys of Fribourg, Bienne, Basel and Solothurn.

Bibliography

  • Victoires, conquêtes, désastres, revers et guerres civiles des Français, volume 7

References

  1. ^ a b Victoires, conquêtes, désastres, revers et guerres civiles des Français, volume 7

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.