World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

John A. Caddell

Article Id: WHEBN0006148334
Reproduction Date:

Title: John A. Caddell  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: People from Decatur, Alabama, Alabama lawyers, Tuscumbia, Alabama, List of University of Alabama people, Decatur, Alabama
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

John A. Caddell

John A. Caddell (Tuscumbia, Alabama, 23 April 1910 – 7 February 2006) was an American lawyer in the state of Alabama. He served on the Alabama Democratic Executive Committee from 1938 to 1950.

In 1915 his family moved to Decatur, Alabama and he attended Decatur High School, graduating in 1927. He attended the University of Alabama, earning his A.B. degree in 1931 and his LL.B. in 1933. His activities at the University included membership on the Executive Committee of the Student Government Association, the Cotillion Club Committee, manager of the varsity track team, the "A" club and the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity.

Caddell began practicing law on 1 June 1933, and became the senior partner of the firm of Caddell, Shanks, Harris, Moores, and Murphree, which later became Harris, Caddell & Shanks, P.C. He was a member of the Morgan County Bar Association, the Alabama Bar Association, and the American Bar Association; he was president of the Alabama Bar Association 1951–1952.

He served on the Board of Commissioners of the Alabama State Bar 1939–1954, and as a member of the Board of Bar Examiners of State of Alabama 1950–1953. He was a fellow at the American College of Trial Lawyers and the American College of Probate Counsel; and served on the Board of Commissioners, Judicial Council of Alabama, 1946–1950.

He was a member and chairman of the board of directors of the First National Bank of Decatur (now Regions Bank), and a member and president pro tempore of the Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama.

Caddell was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha, Omicron Delta Kappa, Phi Delta Phi, and the Decatur Kiwanis Club, of which he served as president in 1939; and the Decatur Chamber of Commerce (president from 1944 to 1945).

He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Decatur and was an active elder and former deacon.

He was married to Lucy Harris of Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and they had four children: Thomas A., Lucinda, Henry H., and John, Jr.

Sources

  • Alabama Academy of Honor
  • Decatur Daily news article


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.