World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Barnaby Woods

Article Id: WHEBN0008421669
Reproduction Date:

Title: Barnaby Woods  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Woodland, Washington, D.C., Civic Betterment, Burrville (Washington, D.C.), Arboretum (Washington, D.C.), Garfield Heights (Washington, D.C.)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Barnaby Woods

American University Park
Neighborhood of Washington, D.C.
Map of Washington, D.C., with Barnaby Woods highlighted in red
Map of Washington, D.C., with Barnaby Woods highlighted in red
Coordinates:
Country United States
District Washington, D.C.
Ward Ward 4
Government
 • Councilmember Muriel Bowser

Barnaby Woods is a neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., wedged between Rock Creek Park and Montgomery County, Maryland. It is bounded on the north by Aberfoyle Place, on the west by Western Avenue, on the south by Tennyson Street, and on the east by Oregon Avenue. Barnaby Woods is entirely residential, with no commercial zoning whatsoever, and the housing consists primarily of 1930s colonial homes on large parcels of land.

Barnaby Woods is in the 2nd Police district and is within Police Service Area (PSA) 201. Barnaby Woods residents are within the sending districts of Lafayette Elementary School, Deal Middle School and Wilson High School.

History

On November 4, 1934, Edward R. Carr headed up the Barnaby Woods Development Company, formed to develop the 23 acre tract in Chevy Chase, DC. Claude G. Johnson and M.B Swanson are also credited with the promotion and realization of this community. Thomas C. Jeffers, engineer and landscape architect of the National Capital Park & Planning Commission, was employed to lay out the subdivision.

A Post article read: Barnaby Woods, with its shady paths, running brooks and flowery shrubbery offers a country home atmosphere with all the advantages of a location in the District. Just West of the Pinehurst Branch of Rock Creek Park, the comprehensive landscaping plan saved the original beauty of the projects location.

On June 1, 1935, the first group of five houses were completed. Post real estate ads showed several Barnaby Street properties selling between $11,900 to $12,900. Later in November 1935, two Van Hazen St. properties, built under the supervision of well-known DC residential developer, C.R. Matheny, came on the market.

By Spring 1937, 70 homes had been constructed with 62 already sold." Careful architectural and social restrictions guarantee each home buyer in this community a sound investment".



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.